Using your Westalee Rulers – the Continuum Quilt Ruler work on a domestic sewing machine with Leonie Fraser 5 Week COurse
07/02/2020 @ 10:00 am - 2:30 pm$275
Focus: Ruler work Quilting
Dates: Fridays 7th, 14th, and 21st February, Thursday 27 February and Friday 6th March.
Times: 10am – 2:30pm (9.30am setup)
Westalee’s Continuum Quilt is a touch of nouveau, deco and contemporary. This quilt layout and the block patterns were designed by Leonie West of Westalee Rulers in 2017 as a quilt class in a bag to provide a challenge to those using her rulers by using new techniques and larger sized blocks to make a bed sized quilt. This is an amazing quilt made using Westalee Rulers designed specifically for this quilt.
If you have enjoyed a previous Westalee Classes then you won’t be able to resist this, which expands your ruler work repertoire with new skills.
Level of skill required for this workshop: All levels of experience with using rulers for quilting. Some machine sewing experience is an advantage.
A few notes about buying your material to use for this quilt!
- It may seem that you are buying a lot of material all at once, but you will be purchasing all the material you will need for the project before you start sewing – fabric for the top, backing and batting for a whole 87” x 78” quilt.
- This project makes a quilt that can be totally reversible, so you can use different colours for the top and the back to accentuate this feature.
- Canberra Sewing stocks an excellent range of colours in homespun materials which is very suitable for the project. I will be in the shop during the machine set-up time to assist if you want to purchase your fabric on the first day of the class.
- There are many types of batting on the market (wool, cotton, bamboo and blends) and all serve different purposes. Purchase a batting you prefer and can afford, avoiding full polyester battings. To show the patterns in my quilting, I use Matilda’s Own wool/ poly which is also available at the shop.
This is not a cheap quilt to make, but I can guarantee when it is finished, it will be worth the effort, and you will have a beautiful heirloom with the problem of who to hand it on to!
This workshop will develop the following skills:
- Setting up and safely using a domestic sewing machine for ruler work quilting
- Choosing and preparing material for quilting using different divisions and rotation angles
- Using straight line and curved line rulers for different effects
- Positioning and using templates for simple and complex quilting patterns
- Finishing your quilt with sashing and binding using Westalee rulers
Westalee Ruler Quilt Class in a Bag Template set to suit your sewing machine – Canberra Sewing staff will help you with this. The non- slip tape that came with your templates.
- You will also need these items to suit your sewing machine, not included in the bag:
- 12” Arc Ruler
- Westalee ruler foot
A materials list will be provided at time of registration.
10:00 am - 2:30 pm